From Truchas TU Need Roadless Support at Roundhouse-TOMORROW

Truchas TU gratz4 at cybermesa.com
Mon Feb 13 17:09:42 MST 2006

TU Members

We need 10 to 15 fishermen and hunters at the
roundhouse at 1 p.m. tomorrow to oppose House Bill
521. This is an anti-roadless area bill that would try
to stop us from permanently protecting areas in the
Valle Vidal or other good wildlife areas.

Talking Points:

* Roadless Areas are the most commented-upon issue in
the history of public land management. 80 percent of
hunters and anglers are in favor of protecting
roadless areas for fishing, hunting and security
habitat for wildlife--according to a poll by the
hunting advocacy organization Theodore Roosevelt
Conservation Partnership. Trout Unlimited studies have
shown that roadless areas produce bigger fish, bigger
buck and bulls and longer hunting seasons. In New
Mexico 40,000 people have submitted comments about
roadless areas, with the overwhelming majority in
favor of protecting roadless areas. It's clear that
citizens want to see our remaining roadless areas kept
the way they are.

* Governor Richardson has been 100 percent supportive
of protecting these last roadless areas in New Mexico.
House Bill 521 sets up a task force representing a few
special interests and designed to override the
governor on this issue. It's nothing more than a
backdoor attempt to develop our last roadless areas.

We really need sportsmen there to say just a few words
against the bill tomorrow.

For more information or to let us know you can join us at the Roundhouse in
Santa Fe, please contact Bob O'Connor at 603-0797 or Roboconnor at aol.com.
Thanks again for your support.

Thanks for your help!

Robert O'Connor