[Oxford63] Artist Statement for Global Warning and new w/c from the island

Katherine Chappell kate at katechappellartspace.com
Wed Aug 7 19:01:33 MDT 2019

Monhegan Stones
[image1.jpeg]
[image2.jpeg]

“Global Warning”
Mixed media, 28” x33”
Kate Cheney Chappell 2019

“...we would all be together in a sudden strangeness.”
—Pablo Neruda

The violence we do to ourselves and the planet, the fraying of earth’s sustaining matrix- the very fabric of life torn beyond repair: these were in my mind when I made “Global Warning.” The poet Pablo Neruda imagines a moment when everyone stops speaking, rushing, preparing “wars with gas, wars with fire,” a suspended moment when “fishermen in the cold sea/ would not harm whales”, when warriors “would put on clean clothes/ and walk about with their brothers...”*
May we find the ‘sudden strangeness’ of peace in our hearts, may we restore our relations with the earth and her creatures, may we ‘walk about’ with our brothers and sisters.

—Kate Cheney Chappell
*
*The Estate of Pablo Neruda, “Keeping Quiet,” from Extravagaria, translated by Alistair Reed, Jonathan Cape Ltd., London, 1974.

Kate Cheney Chappell
P.O. Box 920
Kennebunk, ME, 04043

www.katechappellartspace.com