[Oxford63] 70th birthday

oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com
Sat Jul 4 16:31:34 MDT 2015

Happy Fourth to the new grandmamas!
I feel blessed to be fit and hale at 70, to enjoy our grandchildren as well as the passions distilled from a lifetime of work and play. I am riding every week at my daughter's therapeutic riding center(my grandkids there ride too), and enjoy being in my studio full time.
I've been back to our school this week-
 just having completed a hanging sculpture, "All Life Interrelated," that is now installed in the new science building foyer at K-O. I've been working on it for 3+ years. It's three double helices (12';8'and 6': Sky; Sea and Earth) made of steel and paper with my artwork (images on both sides), suspended from a big stainless steel starfish I designed. It's the most challenging mixed media piece I have ever done, and it took me 3 full days on campus to hang it this week ( see below).
The title is from Rachel Carson and reflects my understanding of how interconnected all life on the planet is, and the responsibility we all have to protect the ecosystem we share with other creatures.
[cid:853324E6-6116-4394-A6ED-F7E20724F0D9]
Work on starfish hangar in progress
[cid:BE81CB1D-EAFA-4FF9-863B-4479A1AA9DB6]
Young engineer who helped me hang
[cid:B4F57FF3-F806-4A75-A0A0-1297422ED6A7]
[cid:ACD5A6CD-9E90-4225-8A1B-DFF02A5CD080]
Detail ( Earth armature).

Love to you all, and special wishes to Betsy and Debbie

Kate Cheney Chappell
P.O. Box 920
Kennebunk, ME, 04043

www.katechapellartspace.com<http://katechapellartspace.com>

On Jul 2, 2015, at 4:35 PM, "oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>" <oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>> wrote:

What fun to see how people are celebrating their birthdays. When I turned 60 I gave myself a brunch. I invited friends, family and those important to me like the owners of the bead and ribbon shops!  I will be spending my 70th in October sitting in the Miami airport on the way back from Cuba. I love seeing the grandkids' pictures. Our boys in Philly are 17 and 15 and our granddaughter here in Atlanta will be 1 in August. After generations of boys, I must admit girls are really neat.
A safe and happy July 4 to everyone.

Barbara
Brucket at aol.com<mailto:Brucket at aol.com>