[Oxford63] exhibition

MVSPS at aol.com MVSPS at aol.com
Wed Jul 27 16:29:11 MDT 2011

Betsy - do you have a photo of the happy couple?

In a message dated 7/27/2011 10:35:27 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
betsycadbury at yahoo.com writes:

May I chime in here with sincere condolences for Buena and greetings to
all.  What a terrible shock, Buena - I am so, so sorry.

I am particularly aware just now of the bittersweet nature of our life
cycle.  I just participated in the marriage of my daughter Cate up in
Montreal.  Her husband is a wonderful, charming and talented Canadian  immigrant
from France, a Muslim with Moroccan roots, whose entire delightful  family came
from France for the wedding.  The kids scripted the entire  day, from
ceremony to reception, with something for everyone... readings from  the Qur'an,
Khalil Gibran, music from Pachelbel and Bach to Moroccan dancing  and salsa,
long white wedding gown to Moroccan robes and short dress for the  evening
of dancing afterwards.  They scripted a greeting for Karim's  mother and me
to perform in Arabic, French and English, with both of us  speaking
unfamiliar languages (we do have French in common - thank you, thank  you, thank
you, Mme Lefaivre!).  It was a fabulous day, and the young  couple are
ecstatically happy and are now honeymooning in Turkey.

What struck me was the subtle shift in leadership.  Up until now, my
sister Peggy and I have been the moving force behind family get-togethers.  We
have written the plays and composed the music that celebrated our  parents'
special birthdays and anniversaries.  We have choreographed and  directed the
memorial services, and written the poems that brought us all into  unity.
And all this changed with Cate's wedding.  In a very gentle  and tactful way,
she made it clear that this was her show, and that while my  ideas were
welcome, I shouldn't feel hurt if they did it all their way.  Which they did,
and I wasn't!  There was an element of relief in  knowing that this child I
have raised and nurtured has taken over, that the  torch has been passed to
the next generation, and that she is more than  competent to lead.

All of which seems pertinent to Judy's comments about losing our peers.  It
is somehow comforting to me to know that our children are there to
"prendre la releve", and that is as it should be.  A thought which  doesn't lessen
Buena's pain, but perhaps makes it more bearable?

Love to all, and I hope to see you at our 50th!  Betsy