[Oxford63] Hello you all

kcpoetry at aol.com kcpoetry at aol.com
Thu Mar 19 04:05:22 MDT 2009

Hi, Susan.
It has been a full year for me. Second daughter, Eliza, moved back to Maine from Charleston with her 3 kids under 4. They lived with us for 2 months until her house was ready. Now she and her family are within walking distance! Youngest son, Luke, moved to San Francisco to start a new business which will open next year, a a kind of farmer's market store, called 'Luke's Local," emphasizing locally grown and organic foods. Lucky for him his older brother, Chris, is out there too. All other kids & grandkids (9) are doing well. Tom is retired from Tom's of Maine, though we are still part owners and the company is doing well despite these hard times. He too is starting a new business!! We are raising Rambouillet sheep -finer wool than Merino- on a farm in Kennebunk and will be making the softest long underwear you can imagine. More in this month*s Forbes Magazine and Forbes, online.
Tom and I had a great visit in Colorado with my sister Mary (3 years behind me at Oxford).

On the art front, I established a Center for Book Arts at the University of S. Maine  and the space is dedicated to my mother and my aunt..I visited my old college -now Chatham University-2 weeks ago to participate on a book arts panel with Naoko Matsubara, a wonderful Japanese woodcut artist who had a retrospective at the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburgh, and Chatham. She is their first Mary Pope Cheney Visiting artist.
I am on my way down to Ct this morning to an opening for an exhibit at the Chen Art gallery at Central Connecticut State University. The show is called  "Sustainable?" and the curator has gathered works from the Wadsworth Athanaeum, the New Britain Museum and individual artists to explore the question of Sustainability. The NBMAA lent my "Explosion of Amphibian Deformities", and 3 of  my "Earth Envelopes" are hanging as well. I will be on an Art panel from 2-4 followed by a poetry reading at the opening. The show runs through April 23. It is very thought-provoking.

I am very glad Zach is thriving and that we can reach out to each other albeit electronically. I will try to send some pictures when i return.

Happy Spring!

Kate