[Oxford63] Further to the complaints...maybe the last??

Anne Aschenbach aaschenbach at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 12:31:06 MDT 2003

Since I was the perp here I guess I should check in with my thoughts (and I'm sure my dear nameless friend out there will call me Miss Chatty again...!).  Betsy, you must not for one minute feel guilty.  What you and others wrote to Debbie was entirely appropriate.  When I offered (and because I deleted it I'm trying desperately to remember exactly how I phrased it) that it might be better if sympathy notes were sent directly to the recipient rather than to the class at large, I was in all good faith trying to avoid a situation similar to that which occurred just after the creation of the "cybercommunity".  As Rena had to inform us back then, a number of classmates became extremely annoyed when our initial flurry of communications evolved into a state where some of us (yours truly included) had a few email "conversations" back and forth almost daily, sometimes involving only a few words, which were without a doubt of NO VALUE to the rest of the class.  Be assured I'm in no way saying the sympathy notes remotely resembled this.  But I recall my conversation with a disgruntled person who was sick and tired of the idle chit-chat and wanted to be removed from the list, probably very similar to conversations Rena had with others regarding the same issue, which indicated to me I needed to be more judicious with how much and what I sent out to you all (I'm still having withdrawal!).  With this new and really wonderful tool Jane created to keep the group informed regarding important events in each others' lives, sorrows, joys, and just basically keeping in touch, some would prefer for any number of reasons that a line be drawn somewhere that would put boundaries on what's to be included and obviously this can't be done.  When I wrote in regard to the sympathy notes I was being protective of those we offended before and in doing so I offended those on the other side of the issue.  As many have said, it is easy to hit the delete key, and certainly one's right to submit anything one wants to this "forum" is inalienable.  The Oxford '63 cybercommunity was outrageously successful for uniting us for the reunion and for the endowment fundraising project and it will be successful for keeping us all in touch in the future with sensible and sensitive use.  I'm sorry if I came across as the Internet police!

Thanks for listening (again).

Anne