From Truchas TU: Up Coming Events

David Gratson gratz11 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 07:22:44 MST 2007

*Up Coming Events*

*The Truchas Chapter, in association with High Desert Angler and The Reel
Life of Santa Fe, is pleased to announce our second annual Rio Grande Pike
Clinic* to be held at the Taos Junction Bridge, 8 miles north of Pilar
on *Saturday,
January 27**th*  at 10:00 am and going until dark.  High Desert's Jarrett
Sasser and Ed L'Heureux, along with Jeff Croy and top guides from The Reel
Life, will offer hands on guidance and instruction about casting techniques
and equipment, fly selection, specialty knots,  rigging and on-the-water
drift tactics to try and lure *Esox Lucius*, the Great Northern Pike to a
fly, this great, majestic game fish that inhabits our waters of the Rio
Grande.

The Fly Shops will both be offering TU members a 10% discount on all flies
and equipment.  And they plan to conduct mini-seminars prior to the 27th to
prepare those who sign up for a great day's fishing.  Space is limited.  The
fee is $10.00 per person to cover our permit fees and the cost of a hot
lunch and drinks, all provided by the Truchas Chapter of Trout Unlimited for
those who chose to attend.  Contact Bob O'Connor, Roboconnor at aol.com or
(505) 603-0797 for all the details.

*The Truchas Chapter is offering a very special Soaring Eagle Lodge Weekend
on the world famous San Juan River for two nights and three days of trophy
trout fishing, Friday and Saturday February 23rd and 24th.*  This is
designed primarily as a "Couples" weekend getaway for Truchas Chapter
members and your wives or your significant others.  Larry Johnson, the owner
of Soaring Eagle Lodge, has extended us very special rates.  *A* *total $119
per person/per day* includes $60.00/per person/per night double occupancy in
one of the Soaring Eagles' private cabins, $29.00/per person/per day for a
gourmet breakfast and full gourmet dinner meal prepared each day by the
Lodge's own private Chef, exclusive use of the Lodge Conference Room and a
rod fee of $25.00 which allows up to six (6) Truchas Chapter anglers
exclusive access to the Soaring Eagle private waters each day.   These
shifts can be divided into half-day turns so up to 12 anglers can sample the
best Soaring Eagle has to offer each day.  Guide service and Float/Wade
trips are available if booked in advance and can be reserved with the
Soaring Eagle directly.  There is also the opportunity to book a special
triple room rate for those without a partner.  The daily room rate is $48.34
per person/per night/triple occupancy, or $145/triple occupancy/per day,
with the $29.00/per person/per day breakfast and dinner and the $25.00/day
rod fees remaining the same.

We need a minimum six (6) couples to make these arrangements work and three
(3) slots are already taken.  We can probably accommodate up to ten (10)
couples maximum, as well as two parties of three (3) seeking triple
occupancy.  However, if we are over subscribed, access to the Soaring Eagle
private waters may be limited.  We will require a 50% deposit in advance to
hold your reservation so please contact Bob O'Connor at
Roboconnor at aol.comor (505) 603-0797 at the earliest possible
opportunity for further details.
Get involved if you have the chance.  It should be a great weekend!

And once again, the Truchas Chapter will be co-sponsoring *The 2nd Annual
Two-Fly Event in conjunction with Jeff Croy and The Reel Life of Santa Fe.**
 * Dates have not been set yet due to uncertainty about the time of the peak
Spring run-off.  Last year's winning team caught more than 25 trout in just
over 3 hours of fishing for a total 427 inches combined.    And of the eight
teams that competed in both sessions, not a single angler, 16 anglers in
all, chose the same fly for the event.  This year will be even better.  Contact
Bob O'Connor at Roboconnor at aol.com or (505) 603-0797 for more details.

Finally, our Annual Banquet is March 3rd at the Hilton in Santa Fe.  Our
guest speaker will be James Prosek.  More details to come on this event.

We hope to see you at these events, thank you.