[Oxford63] Fwd: IMG_4455.jpegsolstice northern lights at cabin

HARALD BORDEWIECK hbordewieck at snet.net
Thu Mar 25 10:22:52 MDT 2021

 What a beautiful, soul-filling experience and thank you for sharing it with us, Judy.  Harald and I saw once years ago in Hartland the Northern Lights pulsing in the sky above our upstairs bathroom skylight--despite being awakened at 2 a.m. (this better be good, I grumbled) and the frigid tile floor beneath my feet, a cherished and unforgettable experience!I have been making my way through Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Kimmerer, a Potawatomi Nation citizen. The book was recommended by someone in the class--thank you!  It led me to watch Gather about Native Americans returning to their original diet and last night on Prime, The Call of the Forest: the Forgotten Intelligence of Trees with Diana Beresford-Kroeger, an Irish-Canadian.  The remarkable similarity in their learning from elders about plant lore, their professions as botanists and writers is striking. As is the remarkable similarity of the ancient Celtic community ethic with our First People's ethic: take only what you need; respect the habitat and the denizens.
 Thank you to Kate, too, for your poem!  We walked the Rachel Carson Preserve years ago, as well.And Deb--I finished the wonderful collection of stories from the women of Brotherhood of the Spirit and will write you about connections.
Happy spring, solstice, upcoming Passover, Easter to all!Love,Alana