[Oxford63] Athena Scratching at the Door

Jane M. Hill jhill at cybermesa.com
Sun Sep 13 17:57:50 MDT 2020

Classmates -

Sure enjoyed the Zoom meeting. Nancy Luke, I have been thinking of you
for a few days. Glad you are safe from the current scourge. Sister
Madeleine, sorry you had to undergo an operation, but it seems that
gallbladders are not as essential as other appendages (organs?), so
that's good. Hope you repair quickly!

So, about Athena. She lives in the front garden (jungle?) from mid-May
to mid-September. There seems to be plenty to eat, but since she spends
her winters indoors, she has developed a taste for the easy life. Toward
the end of last summer, she came and scratched at the door three or four
times. This summer, she has made it a habit, like every two or three
days. If she scratches in the morning, she heads for her indoor feeding
area to get some Romaine. I leave the nearby sliding door ajar, and she
generally returns to the garden after eating. If she shows up in the
late afternoon, she opts for one of her bedrooms (either under a
bookshelf or under the computer stand at my desk). Thenthe next morning
I send her packing.

On September 7th, through a window I happened to notice that Athena was
headed for the door. I grabbed my pocket camera and went out the side
door to to record the event. The camera does not have much of a zoom,
and I did not want to get so close that I would unwittingly distract
her. In hindsight, I wish I had swept the front patio (stuff blows in
from the garden)!

There were some technical issues, but I fixed them today. This is hardly
a fast-paced action flick, but blessedly, it only lasts a minute and a half.

https://youtu.be/1IsHZgAbH9U

--

*** Jane ***

Cyber Mesa Telecom