[Oxford63] Memorabilia

oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com
Thu Dec 6 14:07:21 MST 2018

Relative to reading, in our Senior year, the announcement was made in
Chapel that we would forego morning classes in order to submit to some
secondary school reading assessment. By then, I was disgusted with the
way Oxford always bragged about being in the 98th percentile, so I
intentionally got every answer wrong - though I confess, I accidentally
got one right.

When the scores came back, it seems I had done a good job on lowering
the percentile. Mr. Stevenson called me to his office. He had me read a
letter he had written to my parents. In essence, the letter said that I
needed to learn to follow the "spirit of the law" as well as the "letter
of the law". Since the envelope already bore a stamp, I just left his
office, banging the door behind me. I remember running to the second
floor bathroom where I dissolved into hysteria. I was upset that I was
in so much trouble, but I switched back and forth between weeping and
gales of laughter. I just imagined that I had banged Mr. Stevenson's
door so hard that the handle must have fallen off on the inside,
requiring the headmaster to phone for help.

In hindsight, I hope I didn't cause anyone to suffer, but the passive
resistance of flunking a pointless test was deeply satisfying.

*** Jane ***

Cyber Mesa Telecom
Santa Fe Headquarters
Tel 505-988-9200