[Oxford63] Donations in honor of Courtney

oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com
Wed Oct 4 12:07:11 MDT 2017

Hi, it's Joan.  If I was not clear or some of you did not get the info about Access Living please let me know. In any case my apologies.

Also, somehow I have been writing a few obituaries recently.  Sometimes they are published weeks after an individual has passed away.
So, some of the scoop is:

1.  In general, most city newspapers do not automatically publish obits.  They are written by family, friends, etc. then submitted to the paper and they are not free. There is a fee for each line in a column.  The only free death notices are usually the name and the place of residence of the deceased. There are, of course, exceptions for newsworthy or prominent individuals (as determined by the editors).

2.  There are also "condolence" companies or funeral services that contract with the newspaper.
Legacy.com is the online site (see Hartford Courant) that provides for condolences, tributes etc.
through the Courant and/or funeral services.

ObitTree.com is part of the National Obituary Registry and can be found online merely by entering "Courtney Graham Donnell" obituary.  Currently there are two condolences - one is in French! They are also accessed through the Chicago Tribune.

Some online services provide free "light a candle" or "leave a prayer" tributes and others charge a fee.

This is probably more than you wanted to know, Bonnie, and just the tip of the funeral, condolences, memorials, donations, services planning and preparation etc.

Love to all - Joan

Sent from my iPad