[Oxford63] French teacher

oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com
Wed Feb 17 17:16:14 MST 2016

I am writing from Mexico where we are celebrating 6 family birthdays and Tom's and my 50th (!) anniversary, with the whole clan. We are all in one house in a rural part of the west coast ( Bay of Bandaras).
I wish I had taken some Spanish at Oxford now, but it was 5 years of French.
Sally and I travelled with Simone LeFaivre and her sisters, Olga and Betty Denis-Faivre, the summer we turned 15. It was a wild ride to the Midi- i remember the vertiginous roads and the little towns perched in the mountains. Later, when I was on the Sarah Lawrence Junior Year abroad, I lived with Betty in Paris. She was a delightful younger sister to Simone.
I brought my daughter back to see the apartment and meet Betty and Simone  who had by then returned to Paris, after Sarah graduated from Trinity.
Like Alana, I have a good memory of "Mme". She could be a tough one, but I learned French well enough to see me through living there, reading poetry I loved in French, and returning many times for extended stays. It's funny, the older I get the more I seem to remember of the French language when I'm there. Of course, I forget everything else of more immediate importance!
Kate

Kate Cheney Chappell
P.O. Box 920
Kennebunk, ME, 04043

www.katechapellartspace.com<http://katechapellartspace.com>

On Feb 17, 2016, at 7:41 AM, "oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>" <oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>> wrote:

I learned a lot from her that to my surprise held fast when we traveled to Provence a few years ago. I found I could converse quite well in French.  She was also very kind and helpful to me during an adolescent bout of anxiety. She told me I had the humility to learn--a compliment I barely understood at the time but came to understand especially when I myself was teaching. I do remember rumblings of discontent that surrounded her back in the mists of time--I'm sorry that still riles.
Hope all is well with all of you!
Alana

On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:32 AM, "oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>" <oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com<mailto:oxford63 at mailman.cyber-community.com>> wrote:

Yep, Simone LeFaivre.  Who could forget that bitch.

Sent from my iPhone